- Community Education
- Family Support and Strengthening
- My Voice Matters
- Period of PURPLE Crying
- Strengthening Families
Knowledge of Parenting and Child Development
Accurate information about child development and appropriate expectations for children’s behavior at every age help parents see their children and youth in a positive light and promote their healthy development. Information can come from many sources, including family members as well as parent education classes and public libraries.
Studies show information is most effective when it comes at the precise time parents need it to understand their own children. Parents who experienced harsh discipline or other negative childhood experiences may need extra help to change the parenting patterns they learned as children.
- Provide opportunities for all parents to gain new information.
- Be accessible at drop off, pick up and in between.
- Have conversations with parents. Tell them positive things not just problems.
- Provide information to all families so as not to signal out any one family.